The first “Star Festival” hosted by Scarborough and Ryedale Astronomical Society was held in 2001 at Adderstone Field, Dalby Forest.
The annual event, now known as “StarFest” is well attended by both society members and visitors from other Astronomical Societies around the country, who come along each year to take advantage of Dalby’s dark skies.
In January 2013, Dalby Forest was awarded Milky Way class Dark Sky Discovery status by UK Dark Sky Discovery – We expect this accolade to attract even more amateur astronomers to our star camps in the future.
“…the Dalby forest night appears as good as “Kielder” and definitely darker than the Kelling Heath sky in Norfolk…” – Mick Phipps.
The 3 night event comprises of:
- wine and nibbles welcome
- we hope to have trade stands from astronomy retailers, previous attendees included Grovers of Northallerton and Astro Parts
- a programme of informative talks
- excellent observing and imaging opportunities (weather permitting) under Milky Way class dark skies
- rocket building competition with children and adult categories
- Astronomy pub quiz
- extend your stay – early arrivals possible from the Thursday night for an additional fee
Above all, it is a chance to get together with like-minded people, enjoy the dark skies, and share the hobby.
Event dates, further details and booking information can be found on the StarFest 2021 page.